Sunday, July 6, 2008

Devil's Food White Out Cake

I've been following many of the Tuesdays with Dorie bloggers and have been mesmerized by many of the goodies they've made. I decided to request the book they're using (Baking: From My Home to Yours) from my local library to see if it was something I wanted needed to add to my cookbook collection. Based on the Post-It(tm) tabs I have throughout the book, I'm thinking the answer is a resounding YES!

Of course, I was immediately attracted to the cake on the cover of the book:

I decided I would attempt my hand at it for Brad's birthday since we'd be celebrating on the 4th with my extended family. The recipe calls for 8-inch round cake pans and I only have 9-inch rounds, so I had to double the recipe in order to get the four layers. My filling layers aren't nearly as thick as hers either. Basically my entire cake isn't as pretty as hers. :) But hey, it certainly tasted good! This was my first experience in making a simple syrup and whipping egg whites. I think it turned out pretty well, considering!

It tasted wonderful, the cake was dense and fudgey (I refrigerated it). The frosting was sweet and almost like a marshmallow cream. My husband, kids, and the extended family seemed to love it. Because the recipe is online so many different places, I'm not going to post it here. Instead, I'll link to where it's posted at NPR online. Because I have a child who hates dark chocolate, I skipped the chocolate chips in my version of the cake. Still, it was yummilicious!

The only thing it was missing was the candles...

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that cake awesome? I made it for Christmas day 2 years ago as a Happy Birthday Jesus cake and my kids still call it the Jesus cake.

    ReplyDelete